Friday, October 19, 2012

Bee's big problem by Shea Montgomery

Most people are afraid of bees ( this may not apply to you).  What people don't realize ( again this may not apply to you) is that honey bees are more or less harmless. Yes, they have a stinger and all that but they most likely aren't going to use it on you unless you've as good as killed them( stepping on them sitting on them etc) or threaten their hive.  Why is that? Because there is only one sting per bee. Once the bee has stung it dies.  So no bee is going to sting you for no reason( however hornets are a different story). Got it? Good.
Without honey bees we wouldn`t have 1/3 of the foods we like to eat ( apples, almonds, broccoli, cucumbers, pumkins etc).  Unfortunatly the bees are disapearing at an alarming rate. Over 1/3 of the colonies have already died. Scientists are not quite sure what is causing the bees to disapear. It could be parasites, pesticides, the possibilities are vast.  But losing food isn't the only problem we have here. Bees are living things too and we can't just let them die. Please help the situation by either donating to an organization trying to figure out what's happining to them, or help raise awareness among your friends and family. The bees need you!

1 comment:

  1. Mom loved the pic of bees in someone's hand, because she let me hold a bee when I was three years old. You see, a bee keeper would come over to our house once in a while, and sell us some fresh honey. One day(when I was three), he came with a few bees on his shirt. Thy had hitched a ride on because they were going to die soon, and getting to that lethargic state. While talking with the bee keeper, Mom noticed the bees, and the fact that I was standing by the door looking at them. She gently took some of the bees off his shirt, spread my hand flat, and put them on my palm, knowing I wouldn't crush them or anything. I looked at the bees for a while, then gave them back. The whole time the bee keeper was staring wide-eyed. When Mom put them back on his shirt, he finally found his voice, and asked Mom why she wasn't scared of me getting stung. My mother replied that the bees were dying, and since I wouldn't harm them, they would not harm me.
    I will never forget this story.

    ReplyDelete